This organization is a private, non-profit, multi-service social agency to create a new reality for thousands of underprivileged Israeli children from Jaffa, South Tel Aviv and Bat Yam. Residing in poverty stricken neighborhoods where the majority of parents and caregivers are unemployed, these children are physically and emotionally undernourished and too often suffer from neglect and/or abuse. Violence, crime, and poverty are the norm and what these children can expect for their futures, unless intervention is taken. Into this void penetrate the dangerous elements of the street life, luring children with promises of belonging and acceptance of fitting in and being loved. Once a child has left school for the streets, it is very difficult to bring them back.
Job Description of Trainee:
Love working with children? Looking for a fun way to learn about Israel’s at-risk populations? The Jaffa Institute is looking for dedicated interns to work with underprivileged children, ages 4-12, in our after-school centers in South Tel Aviv! Interns will work closely with our educational and therapeutic staff to provide the children with nutritional, therapeutic, academic, and recreational support.
Specifically, interns will be responsible for:
• Facilitating recreational activities with the children during the year and during the Summer Camp program
• Assisting staff to create and develop activities for the children
• Helping children with their homework and giving children personal attention
• Providing the children with general support as needed.
Our ideal intern:
• Loves children
• Has a background working with children (with at-risk children is a plus)
• Speaks conversational Hebrew