Not ready to apply?Never miss the latest on current volunteer opportunities in Israel. Sign up for periodic email updates:
Stay in the loop about upcoming volunteer programs!
Savyonne Steindler - Yahel Social Change
LEARN ABOUT OUR PROGRAMSWhen you decide to apply, Masa Israel will match you with one of our eight program sponsors in Israel. Each works within a unique social or community framework, but all promise the chance to make a difference and the support you’ll need to do it.
Yahel Social Change Program
Yahel Social Change Program is a unique 9-month service learning experience for young adults between the ages of 21 and 27. The program, taking place in Rishon LeZion, Israel, combines hands-on volunteer work with in-depth learning and immersion. Yahel participants explore Israel by living, learning and volunteering alongside their peers from the local Ethiopian Israeli community. Yahel and its participants make meaningful contributions to Israeli society by working in collaboration with the Atzmaut Project, a long-standing organization working in the Ethiopian community in the fields of education, employment and family life.
The core of the Yahel Social Change Program is volunteer work. Participants work side by side with volunteers and staff of Friends by Nature – joining ongoing work in the following projects:
– Academic Assistance: Assisting English teachers in a formal school setting as well as working with students in afternoon learning centers.
– Tutoring: Tutoring students in English as part of the ‘Homework at Home’ academic assistance program run by Friends By Nature organization, as well as other programs.
– Non-Profit Work: Interning in the office of Tebeka (an Ethiopian-Israeli legal rights organization), assisting in writing grants, social media development and more.
– Community Gardening: Working together with local residents in a community garden in the Ramat Eliyahu neighborhood.
– Youth Activities: Taking part in facilitating recreational and educational activities for at-risk youth in the neighborhood.
The learning component is an integral part of the Yahel Social Change Program and touches on many aspects of the experience.
– Contextual Learning: Participants will learn about the complexity of social, religious, economic and other issues faced by residents of Ramat Eliyahu in particular, and in Israel in general.
– Jewish Learning: Yahel’s Jewish learning curriculum engages participants with some of the core ethical questions related to their service experience. Using both ancient and modern Jewish texts, this component is conducted in a pluralistic Beit Midrash setting, in small groups or in chevruta (pairs).
– Cross-cultural training: Facilitates the integration of participants into their host community.
– Reflection: Reflection is essential to the experiential education model and will be facilitated in a variety of formats – individually, in groups, in written form, verbally and silently.
Participants will meet with major Israeli change-makers, community members, activists and experts from different fields. In addition, Yahel staff members will lead group discussions and support participants’ individual learning throughout the experience.
-Community: Throughout the program the participants will be based in Ramat Eliyahu where they will live, learn and volunteer. The relatively small size of the group (10-12 participants) is conducive to the creation of personal ties and enables activities with peer groups.
-Host Families: Participants will be paired with host families from the community, who will invite them for meals, family events and sometimes holidays.
Travel and Seminars
The Yahel Social Change Program includes day trips as well as three seminars and additional weekend trips . These trips are an opportunity to experience Israel off the beaten track, witness social change initiatives around the country, relax, and have fun.
Recommend or share a volunteer program with a friend: